Project Management

 

 

I have decided that I need to get to work on all of the projects that are floating around in my brain and on paper scattered all over the inside of my desk. In order to facilitate the timely and orderly partial-completion of these projects, I thought it would be terribly fun to hire some help. I found the hired help on the interwebz for the low cost of a few hours of my time, which is a price I’m always happy to pay.

First up, I have brought Redmine onto the team. She brings a lot to the table. Here are a few of the features available:

  • Integration with Gitorious.
  • Integration with Mylyn on Eclipse.
  • Multiple, separate projects.
  • A per-project Wiki.
  • A per-project Forum.
  • Repository browsing, including diffs.
  • Teams, roles, and custom User permissions.
  • Report generation.
  • Time tracking.
  • Workflows.
  • Milestones.
  • Invoicing.
  • … and on and on.

I also like that Redmine is a project written using Ruby on Rails, which is what I am planning to do my projects in. So bonus points there.

Second up, Gitorious has come on board to manage version control. He brings along some great features that, in my opinion, are much easier to use than the Gitolite and Gitweb setup that I had been using previously. Here are a few of the skills that Gitorious brings to these projects:

  • Version Control.
  • SSH pubkey management.
  • User management.
  • Team creation and management.
  • Multiple separate projects.
  • Activities for projects and updates.
  • The ability to ‘watch’ and ‘favorite’ projects.

Gitorious is also written using Ruby on Rails, so more bonus points there. 

It is quite convenient to have both Gitorious and Redmine running on the same Phusion Passenger install on my Ubuntu Server. Unfortunately, the target version of Ruby that I plan to use for my project is 1.9.3, and the version of Ruby utilized by the current applications is Ruby EE, 1.8.7. I am not aware of a way to run two versions of Ruby with the same Passenger install, so I’ll most likely spin up another VM to host the Rails application when it comes time to deploy it.

Finally, I will be putting Aptana 3 and Mylyn to work on keeping my bugs and features in my view while working on these projects. I am using the Mylyn-Redmine-Connector found at http://redmin-mylyncon.sourceforge.net/ and have not had any issues with it so far. I am using the EGit Eclipse plugin (since Aptana is based on Eclipse 3.7) and it works like a charm.

I will update this blog as the projects move along and publish a few tutorials for some of the install issues that I have run into, and undoubtedly will run into, along the way.

Installing Bugzilla on Ubuntu 12.04

Today I wanted to install Bugzilla on my server. I Googled around and found a few tutorials outlining one way to get it accomplished. Unfortunately, some of the configuration that was outlined in those tutorials did not match up with how I was trying to set it up. Here is (for myself as much as for anyone else) a quick description of the problem and solution.

The tutorials I found online appear to be geared toward setting up Bugzilla on a server with a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04, minus Apache, MySQL, or the necessary Perl modules. Additionally, the Apache configuration is set up with access to Bugzilla at www.somedomain.com/bugzilla. In my case, I did not need to create a new Apache users or group, did not need to install MySQL, and already had most of the Perl modules installed from supporting other applications. Additionally, I wanted to set up Bugzilla at bugs.discypher.org instead of www.discypher.org/bugzilla.

For the most part, I followed this tutorial for installing Bugzilla on Ubuntu 11.04 by Rinzwind  at askubuntu.com. (Thanks!). The Apache configuration works just fine as laid out in that tutorial, but did not meet my needs. Instead of creating a new Apache group, I used the Apache group that already exists on my system. It was this existing group that I entered in the /var/www/bugzilla/localconfig file. Instead of editing the /etc/apache2/apache2.conf file to add the <directory>…</directory>, I simply copied over the ‘default’ conf file to a ‘bugs’ file in /etc/apache2/sites-available.  I used the same directives in my ‘bugs’ conf file as was suggested in Rinzwind’s tutorial for the apache2.conf file.

Once the site was enabled and Apache was restarted everything was up and running. Now I have some bug tracking software running on my server. As I am gearing up to start my radio project, it will be quite useful. I’ve set it up to integrate with Mylyn in Eclipse (which I am also getting acquainted with this week). Thanks for reading, and hopefully this helps someone who may be in a similar situation.

 

Edit: A few typos.